Spicy Turkey Cassoulet
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
The secret here is the spicy turkey sausage. Not only does it contain less fat than most other sausages, but it's full of spices that enhance the whole recipe. Why, I bet it'll qualify you as a real kitchen hero!
What You'll Need
- 1 pound spicy turkey sausage, cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cans (14½ ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (16 to 19 ounces) cannellini or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
What to Do
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes, until no pink remains. Add the orzo and garlic and stir constantly for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the orzo begins to brown. Add the remaining ingredients except the beans; cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the orzo is cooked. Gently stir in the beans.
- Turn off the heat, cover, and allow the pot to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
As always, there are no rules. You can certainly use any type of vegetable combination you've got on hand.