Mom's Veal in Tomato Mushroom Sauce
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This veal cutlet dish was really popular at our house when I was a kid. The kitchen sure smelled great when mom was making it, and we kids couldn't wait to dip crusty bread chunks into the hearty sauce she served it up with.
What You'll Need
- 1 pound veal cutlets, pounded to ¼-inch thickness and cut into medallions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (½ stick) butter or margarine
- 1 cup sweet Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 (14-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
What to Do
- Season the veal with the salt and pepper. Place the flour in a shallow dish and coat the veal with the flour.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the veal and brown for about 1 minute per side. If necessary, brown the veal in more than one batch. Drain on paper towels.
- Return the browned veal to the skillet and add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, until the veal is cooked through and the sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately.
- Since this veal is so saucy, I like to serve it over hot cooked pasta.
- For easy Italian recipes you will make again and again, we've compiled this collection of 35 No-Fail Italian Favorites, Plus 7 Classic Sauces you can make at home!