Amish Pickled Beets
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 8 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 40 Min
The great thing about beets is they're available all year long, and while they are quite versatile, pickling them is the most popular way to cook this colorful veggie. It's no wonder! The flavors in this recipe go great with salads, on a sandwich, or just as a snack on their own! So grab a pot, boil some water, and start slicing, 'cause this Amish Pickled Beets recipe is one you won't want to miss!
What You'll Need
- 10 fresh red beets
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
What to Do
- Trim the leafy tops off the beet stems, leaving 2 inches of stem. In a large saucepan, place beets in enough water to cover. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook 35 to 40 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Drain beets, allow to cool slightly, then wearing plastic gloves, (so your hands don’t turn purple) slip off the skins and cut into 1/4-inch slices; discard remaining stems. Return sliced beets to the pot and add remaining salt, the sugar, cider vinegar, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until warmed through.
- Transfer to a glass serving dish or jar; cover, and chill overnight before serving.
Test Kitchen Tip
- After simmering the beets, the skins easily slide off by gently pinching them. After you do it once, you'll be amazed how cool it is!
- Make sure to check out the recipe for our Homemade Beet Borscht! We've got some other great recipes with beets for you to try! Take a look at our Un-Beet-Able Cake and Rainbow Mashed Potatoes -- we hope you'll agree they can't be...beat! (Sorry!)
- Remember to wear gloves to avoid staining your hands, but, if you happen to get some of the beet juice on your skin, wash up with a mixture of salt and warm water. That should do the trick!
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
For more veggie side dishes, download our free eCookbook!
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Take your taste buds on a Mediterranean vacation with our recipe for Greek Potatoes. This easy potato recipe gets its classic Greek flavors from some crumbled feta, olive oil, and other fresh herbs. A side dish this good deserves a big "Opa!"